Thursday, January 6, 2011

Leftovers, old favorites and new things

Last night we had leftovers. We usually have leftovers once a week. Wednesdays are good days for leftovers. We have church and it makes it a little easier to just have leftovers before we run out the door.

Tonight we had beans and cornbread... minus the cornbread. I forgot to buy milk and we were out so we just had beans tonight. All my boys asked where the cornbread was. The beans were good though. I added a little salsa and that was really good.

But I'm really excited about tomorrow night. I am making Muffuletta calzones. I've never made them before. I found the recipe in Southern Living's April 2008 magazine (page 148). Here's the recipe. I'll try and add pictures tomorrow after I make it.

Muffuletta Calzones

2 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
1 cup jarred mixed pickled vegetables, rinsed and finely chopped
1 (7oz) package shredded provolone-Italian cheese blend
8 thin slices Genoa salami, chopped (about 1/8 lb.)
1/2 cup diced cooked ham
1/4 cup sliced pimento-stuffed Spanish olives
1 lb. bakery pizza dough (I will make my pizza dough)
2 Tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese

1. Preheat oven to 425. Stir together 1 Tbsp olive oil, pickled vegetables and next 4 ingredients.
2. Place dough on a lightly floured surface. Cut dough into 4 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a 7-inch circle.
3. Place 2 dough circles on a lightly greased baking sheet. Spoon vegetable mixture evenly on top of circles, mounding mixture on dough and leaving a 1-inch border. Moisten edges of dough with water, and top with remaining 2 dough circles. Press and crimp edges to seal. Cut small slits on tops to allow steam to escape. Brush with remaining 1 Tbsp. olive oil, and sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
4. Bake at 425 for 20 to 24 minutes or until golden brown.

Update: The Muffuletta Calzones were GOOD. Definitely going on my "make again" list.

1 comment:

  1. I wish my hubby would eat leftovers...he HATES them. Oh, well. I usually eat them during the day :)
    Can't wait to hear how the calzones turn out...they sound yummy!!

    ReplyDelete