Monday, January 10, 2011

Bread



I really like bread. Before my man and I got married I decided to do the no-carb diet to lose a few extra pounds before our wedding. When I went for my final dress fitting, my dress was too big. Like 2 sizes too big.


I got my dress fixed and our wedding went off without a hitch. But after that I decided carbs are too good to go without. But it wasn't until a couple of years ago that I actually started making my own bread. I was very afraid of using yeast in my cooking. I'm not sure why. In fact I found yeast that had been expired for 2 years in my pantry. Now I buy a jar of yeast at least once a month. I really enjoy making all kinds of bread.

I've had the Williams-Sonoma Bread book for about 5 years. And until this weekend I've only made one thing out of it, blueberry muffins. (They were really good, but it was right before I found out I was pregnant with my first child and was not feeling well.) Anyway, this book is where I got my bagel and dinner roll recipes that I made Saturday. The dinner rolls were so simple. I make french bread once a week but thought making dinner rolls would take too long so I've never done it. But I'm glad I did and I'll definitely be doing it again. These rolls were so soft and moist. They are still good today (2 days later!).

Dinner Rolls (Williams-Sonoma BREAD)

3 1/2 tsp. active dry yeast
pinch of sugar
1/3 cup warm water
1 cup buttermilk* at room temperature
1/4 cup sugar or 1/4 cup honey
1/2 cup unsalted butter
2 large eggs, slightly beaten
1 tsp. salt
4 1/2 - 5 cups all-purpose flour, plus extra as needed
Canola oil for greasing.

In a bowl, sprinkle the yeast and sugar over the warm water and stir to dissolve. Let stand until foamy, about 10 minutes.
In a heavy-duty mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the buttermilk, sugar, melted butter, eggs, salt and 1 cup of the flour. Beat on medium-low speed until creamy, about 2 minutes. Add the yeast mixture and 1 cup of the flour,a dn beat for another minute. Beat in the remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time, until the dough pulls away from the bowl sides.
Switch to the dough hook, Knead on low speed, adding flour 1 Tablespoon at a time if the dough sticks, until a very soft dough forms, about 1 minute. The dough should be softer than typical bread dough, yet smooth and springy.
Transfer the dough to an oiled deep bowl and turn the dough once to coat it. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let rise at room temperature until doubled in bulk, about 1 1/2 hours.

Grease two 8-inch round cake pans. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured board. Divide the dough in half and roll each half between your palms into a rope 18 inches long. Cut each rope into eighteen 1-inch pieces. Shape each piece into a ball, and place the balls, sides touching, in the prepared pans. Cover loosely with plastic aNd let rise at room temperature until puffy, 30-45 minutes.

Preheat oven to 375*F. Bake the rolls until light golden brown, 18-23. Let cool slightly in the pans or transfer to a rack. Serve warm.

Makes 36 rolls.

*If you don't have buttermilk, put just under 1 cup non-fat milk and 1-2 Tablespoons white vinegar in a bowl or glass. Let it set for about 5 minutes, or until curdled.

No comments:

Post a Comment