Sunday, January 2, 2011

Bierocks


If you've never had bierocks, then you NEED to make these. Beirocks are hamburger and cabbage filled bread pockets (or my boys call them pillows). They are German and perfect. Try them today!

Beirocks: a Recipe from my Mom

2 cups scalded milk
4 Tablespoons sugar
4 Tablespoons shortening
2 teaspoons salt
2 packages of yeast
1/2 cup warm water
2 eggs, beaten
7 cups of flour

Filling:
2 lbs. hamburger
2 lbs. cabbage, shredded
2 medium onions, chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon allspice

Combine milk, sugar, shortening and salt; cool to lukewarm. Add yeast, dissolved in water. Add eggs. Stir in flour, knead and cover. Let rise until doubl ein bulk. While dough is rising, cook in hamburger, cabbage and onions in large skillet or dutch oven. Add salt, pepper and all spice. Cook until done. Roll dough 1/4 inch thick and cut into 4" squares. Use 2-3 Tablespoons filling and put in the center of each square. Fold corners to center, pinching together at the top. PLace on cookie sheet; let rise about 10 minutes then bake at 425 until golden brown. Brush with melted butter. These freeze nicely. Makes approximately 2 dozen.

Note: If you freeze these, you can reheat them in the microwave for about a minute and a half.

7 comments:

  1. I love these and am going to have to make some. I lived in a town in Nebraska filled with German or German-descent families and these were served at school many times.

    I assume you are freezing them after baking since you only need a minute to heat. Have you ever frozen them before baking?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This recipe is my mom's and she had them growing up at school as well. I think she referred to this as "the lunch lady's recipe."

    I do free them after baking. The recipe didn't have a baking time, I think I baked them for about 15-20. Once they cooled I put them in freezer bags.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These little delights are also known as "Runza" , an Eastern European staple. I've been making them for decades. Try them using a slice of cheese baked inside. Definitely one of my family favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I make mine with hamburger,
    onions,sour kraut, sliced green olives and a couple dashes of hot sauce. Great taste

    ReplyDelete
  5. My Gran and Dad always called them "Runzskins" Love them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. HINT: Never use allspice ... I use celery salt and lots of pepper. We LOVE ours with mushrooms and pepperjack cheese ... you CAN buy Rhodes (or store brand) frozen dinner rolls instead of making the dough ... it's just as good

    ReplyDelete
  7. Used a bag of coleslaw mix and Montreal steak spice for seasoning....

    ReplyDelete