Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Corn Dogs and Crock-Pots!

Those two things actually have nothing to do with each other. I did make these corn dog muffins today.


They were alright. Not my favorite thing I've made. I got busy and forgot to set the timer and I think I overcooked them a bit. They were too dry. My boys didn't eat the cornbread, they just dug out the hot dogs and ate them. The baby liked the cornbread though. I stuck a few in the freezer just because they were left over, and I hate throwing food away.

I got to use my new crock-pot today! I got it for Christmas. I've been needing a new one for at least 5 years. My old one was recalled and I never replaced it, so I was happy to get a new one from my mother-in-law for Christmas. It worked wonderfully. I made my crock-pot spaghetti sauce. It is so easy. I make it at least once a month. I never buy jarred sauce anymore. And my picky little eaters love it! I've made it a variety of ways (with meat, meatless, for lasagna). The possibilities are endless! I forgot to take a picture of it when it was finished but here is a picture of all the ingredients.



Crock-pot Spaghetti Sauce

1 lb hamburger (or Italian sausage)
1 Onion, diced
2 cloves of garlic, minced
32 oz tomato sauce
12 oz tomato paste
1 can diced tomatoes
1 cup red wine
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1/2 cup dry parsley
1 Tablespoon salt
1 Tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon black pepper

Brown the hamburger, onion and garlic until hamburger is cooked. Place all ingredients in crock-pot and simmer all day.
(To make it meatless, I cook the onion and garlic in a skillet with olive oil, then add all ingredients to the crock-pot). I can usually get at least 2 meals out of this sauce. If I am making lasagna I usually double the recipe and make 2 or 3 small lasagnas with the sauce and then I have enough to have pasta a couple of times as well.

2 comments:

  1. ok, lady! this better be good! I'm making it for meatball subs this week, sans ground beef for obvious reasons :)

    ReplyDelete